Probiotics have been proven to prevent and treat common antibiotic side effects such as
Some form of antibiotics, such as especially cephalosporins, clindamycin , or fluoroquinolones, induce colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine, in some individuals. This type of colitis is caused by a toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium difficile, which is resistant to many antibiotics and which proliferates in the intestines when other normal bacteria in the intestine are destroyed by the antibiotics.
You can protect yourself from these uncomfortable side effects by following these guidelines:-
1) take an extra dose of probiotics a few days before taking antibiotics. An extra dose could be an additional 10 billion CFU of probiotics supplement or a serving of yogurt or kefir.
2) during the period of antibiotics intake, take two or more doses of probiotics in the day time. Take probiotics at least 3 hours apart from antibiotics. Taking both at the same time simply defeats the purpose as the friendly bacteria will be totally destroyed by the drug.
3) obtain variety of bacteria by taking yoghurt and kefir or supplements with six different bacteria strains.
4)use saccharomyces boulardii, a non-pathogenic yeast that works like a probiotics. Antibiotics can only kill bacteria and cannot eliminate yeast.
keep on taking an extra dose of probiotics a day for one week after the completion of antibiotics medication to replenish the good bacteria.
support the growth of your good bacteria by eating a diet high in fiber.
Note to People with Yeast Infections/Candida and/or Milk-Sensitivity
- Supplements works best if you are sensitive to the cow's milk in yoghurt and kefir or if you have Candida. Brands like UAS Labs and Natren carry the dairy-free version.
- Saccharomyces boulardii is completely unrelated to candida, the yeast responsible for yeast infections. Rather, S. boulardii is recommended by nutritionists for the treatment of Candida overgrowth. Research has also shown that this form of yeast is effective against Clostridium difficile infection. Florastor is a well-known brand for this health promoting yeast supplement.